SWOT is a management tool for analyzing strategic issues.
The SWOT Analysis has been used worldwide since the 1960s to find out where an organization stands.
The method has a number of advantages. It offers the possibility to compare internal (sterngth and weaknesses) and external (opportunities and threats) factors.
It is an analysis that is not very concrete and does not bring people into action.
A SWOT can clarify the challenges you face. A global analysis, which you then have to work with in your organization.
My experiences after guiding more than 100 SWOT sessions.
- More than 80% wants as result more than a strategic analysis.
- To arrive at an action plan via SWOT is time-consuming and complex.
- More than half of the SWOT participants have a different idea of the objective than the organizer himself.
- More than 90% of the SWOT sessions mainly yield many generalities.
- Weaknesses and threats mainly generate a lot of negative energy.
- More than half of SWOT analyzes disappear in a desk drawer.
- Combining internal and external factors does not yield much more than some focus areas.
The result of a SWOT session SWOT has been around for a long time; you can't really get around it. Organizations often see it as an obligation in a plan or description of what an organization is doing. It is used to analyze the...
My experience with SWOT SWOT has been used as a strategic analysis tool in almost every industry since the 1960s. It cannot be otherwise than that SWOT is a very strong tool, at least that is my experience. In your daily work you...
I have worked with the SWOT analysis for an endless amount of time and I have done that for various organizations. As an analysis tool, SWOT is easy to explain and understand. All those sessions gave me insight into how teams work...
Download your SWOT Analysis eBook
Is the SWOT an effective tool?
After years of using SWOT 1.0 in all kinds of advisory processes, there is only one conclusion for me: the current SWOT approach needs a thorough review.
Here it is and completely free.